Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Again with the changing!

Yep, Again.

What I am going to be adapting to now is a more pan polynesian persona. 5 bucks 5 bucks. Sorry.

I can work with this. It just brings me back to the Maori thing. Not that I have a problem with that mind you. It seems to be the stuff that WANTS to be made, as it keeps falling into my lap. I just don't want to be monotonous. I also don't want to piss anyone off.

For those of you who don't know me, and most of the people who would see me in this stuff and get excited wouldn't know me or my background (and honestly not even care), I am a LARGE white guy, who for the almost 3 years before he moved to Atlanta, spent at least 5 nights a week and most of the weekend with Kalena's Polynesian Ohana, a hula school in Orlando, drumming for Tahitian, doing Wero (Maori challenge), and hanging out with my Samoan, Hawaiian, and Chamorro family. I miss them like gangbusters. I have never come across such a strong sense of family and community in my life. I am proud to be able to say I am a part of it, even after so much time.

And if any of you out there have a problem with a fat haole, palagi, pakeha, or...whatever dancing and drumming, get out and do it yourself.

1 comment:

Illuviel said...

I was going to email you, but it's on-topic here.

I saw this and thought of you -- http://www.nzonscreen.com/

especially this series:

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/waka-huia-1988/series

If I spoke Te Reo Maori, it would make more sense, but it's still beautiful.